Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Struggle to Be on Time! Everytime!

Punctuality. It's a simple yet one of the hardest things to do. For 10 times I try to be on time, I made it maybe once or twice. Yes I am that bad. In fact, being "punctual" is always on my New Year's Resolution Lists. It has always been there each year.
Well except when I went to work. While I was doing the stocktake, I was late maybe twice in total (out of 158 stocktakes). Yes I did have the record of the stocktakes that I was allocated to. Thanks to my boredom at work, I typed my own name into the company system and counted how many stocktakes I've done from late 2007 til mid 2008. 158 shifts. Two of them I was late : once I was an hour late because I was overslept and it was on Saturday! People deserve to be late on weekends. Saturday is the time for the hangover and sleep. Okay I know those are all wrong.
And the other one I was 10 minutes late because I got a bit lost - stupid Google Maps for writing down North Road as the "N road". How was I supposed to know?? It could be whatever starts with N. Nothing. Nuts. Nonsense. Or even Ninny.
Anyway I was quite impressed with myself for that. But when it is time to meet up with friends, punctuality goes out of the window. Well I always try to be, but it seems like the universe doesn't want me to be.

Like this afternoon for an example. I agreed to meet Eric at 1.30pm - to pick up my Corica. But before that,I was planning to wake up at 10am. Hit the gym at 11am. What happened was : on 12.30pm I was still laying in my bed. Hurried myself for a quick shower, put some clothes on, dried my hair, straighten them, put sunblock and eyeliner on and ran to the door. It was 1.08pm when I was waiting for the lift. I thought I still could make it if I get on the tram once I arrive at the tram stop.

Well you know that in most apartments, you have to push some button to open the security door (the main entrance door). Mine didn't work this afternoon. At first I thought I needed to push the button harder, but it didn't make any difference! Great! I was locked in my own apartment and I couldn't get out. Trams were passing by in front of my eyes. I hated that hopeless feeling. I pushed and pushed the button again and again but still it wouldn't open. It was Sunday, trams are much less frequent than any other days. And I was in a hurry! Crap!
I tried to dial the building manager, no answer. I dialled again. Still no answer. Shit! I ran around back and forth to the button and to the door wishing it would magically open. But no magic was happening. I tried to find a fire emergency door but I couldn't find one. I was angry at the fact that there was no emergency door! What if there is fire on this apartment? Then I realized I was on level one. How stupid I was. If there is fire, of course the people on that level will just have to get out from the main entrance door. Just let's hope the door doesn't get stuck like this on fire situation though.
Then I tried to go one level up to find an emergency exit. But my sister reminded me that there are some chances if I open the door is that I would trigger the fire alarm and it would make a great mess - panic residents running around and get evacuated. I was afraid to do that and I backed down.
So I went out from the car park entrance. It was 1.30pm. I was definitely going to be late!

I was angry at the stupid door. I was angry at the building manager. So much that I brought back the thoughths of all the inconvenience I got from living in that apartment.

First : In my apartment, if we want to move in/out we have to make a lift booking. This is normal. What is not is that we are required to fill some stupid form, put the date of the booking and wait for it to be approved. Well if the date is not available, we have to make some changes and re-send the form again. Once it is approved, we have to make an arrangement to meet with the building manager to deposit $100 and get the lift key. The $100 deposit is for some kind of insurance for them in case if we break the lift or wall or whatever. The moving in/out procedures are a bit complicated, we have to get the removalist park the van/truck in the small stupid lane which is really SMALL and it is really hard to park there. I remember how every morning I went to work I had to wait for some cars going the opposite way first before I can go forward. I don't really know how to explain it but it was really SMALL, especially when you park some BIG truck there, you would definitely block the lane.
And they got these cameras everywhere. So if we do something wrong, they would deduct the $100. What a load of craps!

Second: They always put some announcement in the lift each time there are some residents do something wrong.
"On last Tuesday, there were two gentlemen put some hard rubbish on the B2 Level on 6:33pm. Could the gentlemen contact this 04xxxxxxx number. Otherwise the photos from the security camera will be taken and put on this board".
"On Monday the rubbish chute was blocked due to some residents didn't comply with the rubbish throwing policy - no loose objects, no hard rubbish bla bla bla. Security cameras are now being investigated."
"On 5:47 last Tuesday morning, there were three irresponsible residents who blocked the main entrance door with a bunch of yellow pages. This was such a dangerous and irresponsible thing to do. To avoid any embarrasement, please the residents who did that contact this number before the photos are taken."

Give me a break! I know it is a good thing to try to make every resident happy, safe and sound but I don't think there's any need to threaten the culprits by putting any photos on the board. That is just childish and ludicrous. It made us (me and my sister) afraid to do anything. I do not go to the gym downstairs due to a lot of regulations apply. I am much more willing to pay Fitness First $20 each week !

Third : If we ever accidentally leave our keys inside the unit and we cannot get in, we are required to pay the building manager $100 just to get us inside..... $100! No locksmith needed Just the building manager who's got the spare keys. $100 is bullshit.

I think this is the strictest apartment I have ever known.

Okay I know it's not fair to blame it on the door or even the building manager. I was late because of myself. I was late because of my poor time management. Next time I will try to be on time. No reasons involved if I am late. Late is late. Well I was angry at myself actually. For being late. Late. Late. Late.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think... it's time to move out! hahaha again... it's you against the world... as you said... the universe just wanted you to be late... especially the DAMN DOOR! hahaha -krist-

proudweirdo said...

LOLLL. I'll be moving out next year! let's hope i will be free from the "be late" curse. HAHEAHEHAEH

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com